Skip to Content
Information Centre

Industry Schemes Employee

What is a "casual employee"?
A casual employee is someone between the age of 18 to below 65 who is employed in the construction industry or the catering industry on a day-to-day basis or for a fixed period of less than 60 days.
What are "Industry Schemes"?
Industry Schemes are MPF schemes specially designed for the construction and catering industries. In addition to high labour mobility, these industries have many casual employees whose income is calculated on a daily basis.

The Industry Schemes provide convenience to the employers and employees in the construction and catering industries. For example, casual employees do not have to switch schemes when they change jobs within the same industry, so long as their previous and new employers are registered with the same Industry Scheme. This is convenient for scheme members and saves administrative costs.
I am a construction worker and was employed to work at a construction site for two weeks only. Am I covered under the MPF System?
Yes, casual employees in the construction and catering industries are covered by the MPF System. Even if you work for just one day at a construction site, your employer is still required to make contributions for you.
I am a casual employee working in a restaurant. My employer has participated in an Industry Scheme and tells me my contribution should not be 5% of my income. It is true?
This is true. Using 5% of relevant income to calculate mandatory contributions does not apply to casual employees in the Industry Schemes. There are designated contribution scales to calculate contributions for casual employees. You may find more information here.
Is it true that casual employees can pre-enrol themselves into Industry Schemes?
Yes, casual employees in the construction and catering industries can open MPF accounts in the two Industry Schemes in advance. The advantage of doing so is that when a casual employee changes jobs, he/she does not have to fill in an enrolment form in the new work place (e.g. in a restaurant or at a construction site) provided that the new employer has also registered with the Industry Schemes. The employee can simply present his/her Industry Scheme membership card to the new employer to arrange payment of contributions.

If you would like to open an account in the Industry Schemes, please contact the relevant trustees directly. A list of the trustees' contact can be found here.

Last Revision Date: 09/06/2017