Skip to Content
Information Centre

Industry Schemes Employer

I am the owner of a construction company. Some of my employees are construction workers who are employed on a short-term basis while the rest are permanent clerical and managerial staff. I intend to enrol the short-term employees in an Industry Scheme. To save the trouble of having to make MPF contributions to an Industry Scheme and a Master Trust Scheme for the short-term employees and the permanent staff respectively, can I enrol my permanent employees in an Industry Scheme as well?
Yes, employers in the construction and catering industries can enrol both casual employees and regular employees, such as clerical and managerial staff, in an Industry Scheme.

Alternatively, they can enrol both casual and regular employees in a Master Trust Scheme. Employers should note that the method for calculating casual employees' contributions under a Master Trust Scheme differs from the method used in an Industry Scheme.
I am the employer of a group company which owns a number of subsidiary companies. One of the subsidiary companies is engaged in the catering business; the rest are engaged in other industries. Can I enrol the employees of all the subsidiary companies in an Industry Scheme?
No. Industry Schemes are only open to employers and employees in the construction and catering industries. Only those employees who work for the subsidiary company in the catering business may be enrolled in an Industry Scheme.
My company is in the catering business. Am I required by law to participate in an Industry Scheme?
No. Although Industry Schemes are specially designed for the construction and catering industries to cater for their unique nature and operational practices and may be more cost-effective to companies in these industries, participation is voluntary. An employer who is engaged in the construction industry or the catering industry may choose to enrol his employees in an Industry Scheme or a Master Trust Scheme.
How should I calculate mandatory contributions for casual employees enrolled in an Industry Scheme?
You should calculate contributions for casual employees enrolled in an Industry Scheme using the designated contribution scales here.
If I have enrolled a casual employee in an Industry Scheme, do I need to inform the scheme trustee when I cease to employ him?
No. An employer is not required to inform the trustee when a casual employee who is a member of an Industry Scheme ceases employment.

However, if you have chosen to enrol your casual employee in a Master Trust Scheme, please refer to Q15 under the section of FAQ - MPF Employer for what you should do.
What are the advantages of enrolling my casual employees in an Industry Scheme?
For casual employees enrolled in an Industry Scheme, if employers choose to make mandatory contributions on the next working day after pay-day, they are not required to provide employees with pay-records or to keep records of the payment of relevant income.

Last Revision Date: 22/06/2017