Back Home

Complaints Against MPFA or MPFA staff

Complaints Against MPFA or MPFA staff

Notes on Filing a Complaint

Who we are

The Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority (MPFA) is a statutory body established under the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance (MPFSO) (Chapter 485, Laws of Hong Kong) to regulate and supervise mandatory provident fund (MPF) schemes and occupational retirement schemes (ORSO schemes). 
The core functions of MPFA include:
  • to ensure the compliance with the MPF requirements under the MPFSO by employers, self-employed persons and scheme members;
  • to regulate the affairs and activities of approved MPF trustees and to ensure as far as reasonably practicable that those approved trustees are administering their registered schemes in accordance with the law and in a prudent manner;
  • to issue guidelines on compliance with statutory requirements applicable to registered MPF intermediaries, and impose disciplinary sanction; and
  • to ensure employers and administrators of ORSO schemes operate ORSO schemes in accordance with the Occupational Retirement Schemes Ordinance (Chapter 426, Laws of Hong Kong) and in a prudent manner. 
We recognize the importance of complaints and regard them as opportunities to improve the quality of our services. We are committed to handling your complaint seriously and will deploy our resources effectively to follow up your case.

When to file a complaint

If you are dissatisfied with the way MPFA or its staff has/have carried out (or failed to carry out) its/their duties, you may file a complaint with MPFA.
Some complaints are not covered under this procedure. They include:
  • Any complaint about the provisions under the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance or the Occupational Retirement Schemes Ordinance (e.g. scheme members dissatisfied with not being allowed to withdraw MPF accrued benefits before reaching the age of 65);
  • Any complaint which is outside the purview of MPFA (e.g. scheme members dissatisfied that MPFA cannot make compensation to them for investment loss); and
  • Any complaint against departed MPFA staff's competence and behaviour.

Who can file a complaint

Any person who is affected by the way MPFA or its staff has/have carried out (or failed to carry out) its / their duties may file a complaint.

Is there a time limit for filing a complaint

Please file your complaint within one year from the occurrence of the incidents causing your dissatisfaction. If you are unable to file a complaint within such time, please provide reasonable grounds for our consideration of accepting your complaint.

How to file a complaint with us

You may submit your complaint in writing. Please download this form and return the completed form to us through the means listed on the second page of the form.

If you need assistance in completing the form, you may contact our hotline 2918 0102 to make an appointment to visit our office so that our staff may assist you in filing a complaint. Visitors have to strictly follow the MPFA’s infection prevention guidelines during the visit. Our office locations and service hours are as follows:
Office Address Office Hours
Head Office Level 8, Tower 1, Kowloon Commerce Centre, 51 Kwai Cheong Road, Kwai Chung Weekdays:
8:45 am to 5:45 pm

Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays:
Hong Kong Island Office Room 1201 - 1207, Nan Fung Tower, 88 Connaught Road Central, Sheung Wan
Kowloon Office Level 25, Tower 1, Millennium City 1, 388 Kwun Tong Road, Kwun Tong





What information to provide when filing a complaint

To ensure your complaint is processed efficiently, please provide the following when filing a complaint with us:
  • Your name, postal or email address and daytime contact phone number;
  • Target of your complaint (e.g. name of MPFA department and / or staff);
  • Details about your complaint and incidents causing your dissatisfaction; and
  • Copies of relevant supporting documents (if any).
You may be required to produce or submit proof of identity, such as your Hong Kong Identity Card or passport number / copy, to MPFA to facilitate the verification of your identity, when necessary.

If the above information is not provided in the form or is inaccurate or incomplete, MPFA may not be able to fully investigate your complaint, or may even be unable to handle and respond to your complaint.
Where it is found that a complainant's allegations are false or misleading and are made maliciously or frivolously, MPFA reserves the right to take appropriate action.

Complaints lodged by an authorized person

For complaints lodged by an authorized person on behalf of the affected person or affected company / organization, the authorization must be made by the affected person or the affected company / organization in writing. The authorization form can be downloaded via the following links.

Authorization by affected person: download form
Authorization by affected company / organization: download form

How do we handle and respond to your complaint

Upon receipt of your complaint, we will acknowledge receipt in writing within 3 working days.
The focus of our investigation is to ascertain whether the allegations of your complaint are substantiated. We may contact you to obtain more information if necessary. Our target is to reply to you in writing within one month upon receipt of your complaint. This timeframe is for reference only as the handling of a complaint may be affected by various factors such as the complexity of the case and the amount of evidence to be collected. If we are unable to complete the investigation within a month, we will inform you in writing.
Unless new information or evidence is provided, our written reply to you is considered final.

Personal Information Collection Statement

Personal data submitted in making a complaint to MPFA are for the purpose of investigating your complaint. The personal data will only be used for the aforesaid purpose or where permitted by law. If your personal data are required to be disclosed or transferred to third parties, prior consent will be obtained from you.
You are entitled under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance to ascertain whether MPFA holds personal data relating to you, and to request access to or to request the correction of any personal data relating to you held by MPFA, in the manner and subject to the limitations prescribed therein.  All enquiries should be directed in writing to the Personal Data Privacy Officer of MPFA.

Back To Top