Complaints Against ORSO Employers or Administrators

MPFA’s roles and policies on handling complaints

Who we are

The Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority (MPFA) is a statutory body established under the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance (MPFSO) (Chapter 485, Laws of Hong Kong) to regulate and supervise mandatory provident fund (MPF) schemes and occupational retirement schemes (ORSO schemes).

One of its core functions is to ensure employers and administrators of ORSO schemes operate ORSO schemes in accordance with the Occupational Retirement Schemes Ordinance (ORSO) (Chapter 426, Laws of Hong Kong), Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes (Exemption) Regulation (Exemption Regulation) (Chapter 485 sub. leg. B, Laws of Hong Kong) and in a prudent manner.

The ORSO Schemes Department of MPFA is responsible for handling complaints against employers and administrators of ORSO schemes.

We recognize the importance of complaints and regard them as opportunities to regulate the conduct of ORSO administrator and deter non-compliance of employers. We are committed to handling your complaint seriously and will deploy our resources effectively to follow up your case and protect your rights as an ORSO scheme member or employer.

What we can do

  • Investigate complaints which raise issues of non-compliance of ORSO, Exemption Regulation, and enforcement concern on employers and administrators of ORSO schemes and take appropriate action if necessary.

What we cannot do

  • Interfere with administrators’ operational and commercial decisions;
  • Intervene or adjudicate disputes between administrator and their clients;
  • Intervene or adjudicate labour disputes between employers and employees; or
  • Act as your financial or legal adviser.
Notes on criminal prosecution:
  • MPFA’s role: The duty of MPFA is to conduct investigation and collect evidence. As the MPFSO does not give MPFA the power to prosecute, upon investigation and collection of evidence, MPFA will seek legal advice and make reference to the “Prosecution Code” of the Department of Justice to determine if a case meets the requirements for initiating criminal prosecution.
  • Complainant’s role: In a criminal proceeding, the complainant serves as a witness and helps provide evidence during investigation. Even if the complainant insists on initiating criminal prosecution, MPFA will seek legal advice and make reference to the “Prosecution Code” of the Department of Justice to determine if a case meets the requirements for initiating criminal prosecution.

What to do first if you have a complaint

As complaints caused by misunderstanding or mismatch of expectations can often be resolved after you have liaised with the employer/administrator, we suggest you to contact your employer/administrator first to reflect your dissatisfaction and seek resolution before filing a complaint with MPFA.

When to seek help

You may lodge a complaint with MPFA about employers/administrators concerning administration of ORSO schemes if:
  • The employer/administrator refuses to handle your complaint;
  • You consider that the employer/administrator has not handled your complaint in a fair manner;
  • You are not satisfied with the responses provided by the employer/administrator; or
  • You have grounds to believe that your interests under an ORSO scheme have been prejudiced by the employer/administrator’s action.

How do we handle your complaint

Upon receipt of your complaint, we will conduct an initial assessment and initiate investigation if necessary. Our focus will be on whether your complaint raises any concerns about employers/administrators’ practices which are non-compliant with the relevant ORSO legislations and guidelines.

What is our response to your complaint

We endeavour to handle your complaint expeditiously, and upon investigation will inform you of our investigation result to conclude the handling of your case. However, we may not be able to provide you with all the details about our investigation because their disclosure may be subject to certain legal restrictions. For instance, there is a general prohibition in the MPFSO against the disclosure of information which we have obtained in the exercise or performance of our functions under the MPFSO. We may also be restrained from disclosing investigation details as it may adversely affect the administration of justice. Other grounds why such disclosure cannot be made include those set out under Part 2 of the Code on Access to Information of MPFA.

How to lodge a complaint with us

Hotline 2918 0102 (8:45 am to 5:45 pm on weekdays)
Mail Customer Services Department, Level 8, Tower 1, Kowloon Commerce Centre,
51 Kwai Cheong Road, Kwai Chung*
Fax 2259 8806

Members of the public should lodge a complaint with us via the above channels which will offer greater convenience and save more time.

If there is any practical need (e.g. present documents) to visit the customer service counter of MPFA office in person, please call MPFA’s telephone enquiry hotline (2918 0102) to make appointment in advance. Visitors have to strictly follow the MPFA’s infection prevention guidelines during the visit.

Office Address Office Hours
Head Office Level 8, Tower 1, Kowloon Commerce Centre, 51 Kwai Cheong Road, Kwai Chung Weekdays:
8:45 am to 5:45 pm

Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays:
Hong Kong Island Office Room 1201 - 1207, Nan Fung Tower, 88 Connaught Road Central, Sheung Wan
Kowloon Office Level 25, Tower 1, Millennium City 1, 388 Kwun Tong Road, Kwun Tong





* The MPFA will not accept underpaid mail which will be returned to the sender or disposed of by the Hongkong Post. Please affix sufficient postage.

Please note that messages sent via email may not be secure as they could be intercepted, corrupted or lost. You are strongly advised NOT to provide sensitive, personal or confidential data in your email, and you should consider sending your complaints by mail/fax or in person if the content involves such data.

If you would like to file a complaint in writing, you may fill in the relevant Complaint Form below and return it to us by mail or fax, or submit it online. Our staff will contact you by phone upon receipt of your complaint to confirm the details.

Complaint against ORSO employers: download form
Complaint against ORSO administrators: download form

What information to provide when filing a complaint

To ensure your complaint is processed efficiently, please provide the following when filing a complaint to us:

  • Your personal particulars and contact details;
  • Your proof of identity (e.g. copy of Hong Kong Identity Card);
  • Your consent whether to disclose your identity as a complainant to your employer (if applicable);
  • Your specific allegation(s) against the employer/administrator and details about your complaint; and
  • All relevant supporting documents (duplicates), e.g. benefit statement, letter of termination of employment, etc.

  • Please provide your identity proof (if applicable) and contact details, without which we will still take your complaint but the following applies:

  • We will not discuss and disclose case progress and investigation results to you; and
  • Investigation of the complaint may be impaired.

  • If you would like to authorize someone to lodge a complaint on your behalf, you must submit a signed authorization form and the authorized person must provide his/her proof of identity (if applicable) and contact details to us.

    Authorization by affected person: download form
    Authorization by affected company / organization: download form

    While MPFA does accept complaints lodged by informants (i.e. persons who are not personally affected by the alleged non-compliance), we will not provide case progress and investigation results to the informants. Please note that we might not be able to take follow-up action if only limited information is provided.

    Personal Information Collection Statement

    Please read our Personal Information Collection Statement for Complaints before filing a complaint.

    Last Revision Date: 06/08/2020